2nd easy no-wrong-side baby blanket

Following up on the last post, here's another pattern that I made up, super simple and looks great. It's super soft and stretchy, and like the last one, has no wrong side.


I found 2 colors of the Caron Simply Soft that I liked together - a deep red and a charcoal grey - sorry the colors don't look properly dark enough in the photos, but such is life.  I really like the effect of the two strands together!  I learned at one point that the first thing that babies can see is contrasts and edges, so I figure this might help with some visual stimulation to get those tiny brains going.

It almost looks like large strips woven together, but it's just squares of alternating sides of stockinette, with a border of garter stitch on the sides for stability.


Supplies:
Size 13 needles (I used a circular for convenience)
Size 15 needles for bind-off
2 contrasting colors of Caron Simply Soft (I used Autumn Red #9730 and Charcoal Heather #9508 in 6 oz. skeins)
Row counter (saves my brain so much agony)
Optional - stitch markers to mark sections of stitch pattern



  • Cast on 80 stitches in a stretchy cast-on (I used my trusty favorite slingshot cast-on)
    • The pattern will be the same on both sides of the blanket, and will last for 12 rows. This would be a good time to add in stitch markers every 10 stitches if you wish. The squares created will each be 10 stitches by 12 rows.
  • A rows: Knit 20, [purl 10, knit 10]*repeat, purl 10, knit 10
    • Repeat for total of 12 rows A
  • B rows: Knit 10, [purl 10, knit 10]*repeat 2ce, knit 10
    • Repeat for total of 12 rows of B
  • Continue repeating sections of A and B until you have a total of 7 rows (4 of A, 3 of B), then bind off on larger needles to keep it stretchy.
    • If you want a more square blanket (I was starting to run out of my gray, so stopped after my 7th section), you can add another section of B rows.
    • I know that there are better stretchy bind-offs than chain, but I've never actually bothered to learn them and just try to do it loosely on larger needles to keep the stretch.
  • Sew in the tails from the cast-on and bind-off and then give to the intended baby!  Since it's 100% acrylic, it can bet tossed in the wash by busy parents without worry of shrinking or warping.
    • You may want to stretch the garter stitch along the side so that it keeps a more squarish shape.



 I'm really happy with how this came out - it's nice and squishy and stretchy, and the color pattern is definitely fun!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Simple no-wrong side baby blankets

Oyster stitch cowl